ABOUT 25 people were evacuated from BP service station in Chinderah on Wednesday due to a faulty bowser.
Police, firefighters and HAZMAT were called to the scene about 5pm and the centre on Ozone Rd was quickly cleared.
Tweed Fire and Rescue station officer Martin Maher said a motorist was pumping LPG when a hose separated from the nozzle allowing a large amount of gas to escape.
"The person went into the station and the manager immediately turned off supply," Mr Maher said.
"About 25 people were evacuated from the McDonalds and KFC areas and traffic was diverted.
"We were just fortunate that the manager of the BP took quick and decisive action."
A BP spokesman confirmed there was a leak from a LPG pump at the Chinderah service station.
"While these type of events don't happen often, we do have procedures in place to allow the pump to be isolated and the servo shut-down safely," the spokesman said.
"The on-site team followed the procedures to the letter and shut the site down safely without incident.
"The Fire Service was called - part of the procedure - and after a pump repair person fixed and tested the pump, the site was given approval to re-open around 8pm."