ABOUT 400 people were evacuated from the Peppers resort in Kingscliff last night after a stove caught on fire.
Tweed Heads senior firefighter Mark Whiticker said the fire started on the 4th floor of the resort and was contained to one unit.
Firemen arrived about 8:30 and extinguished the flames in less than 8 minutes.
Tweed police Inspector Jim Kain said the room was unoccupied when the fire alarm was triggered.
"When police arrived there was a stove top well alight," he said.
"It may have been accidental."
An estimated $40,000 damage was caused.
A Mantra Group spokeswoman said the fire alarms were immediately triggered and standard evacuation procedure was followed.
"Guests were able to resume back to normal a short time after," she said.